As health care and human services in the U.S. undergo rapid change, aging and disability community-based organizations are facing the need to change in order to meet the needs of these populations while managing limited resources.
ACL's programs help with grants, technical assistance, and resources to strengthen community-based organizations in the aging and disability networks.
- Aging and Disability Evidence-Based Programs and Practices - This effort helps the public to learn more about available evidence-based programs and practices serving people with disabilities and older adults and determine which may best meet their needs.
- Diversity & Cultural Competency - Cultural competency is critical to reducing health disparities and improving access to health care that is respectful of and responsive to diverse needs.
- Duels Demonstration Ombudsman Technical Assistance - ACL provides state grantees technical assistance to help organizations support dually-eligible beneficiaries to receive person-centered care and support.
- Improving Business Practices - ACL partners with private foundations and other national partners to provide aging and disability networks with tools to successfully establish contracts to provide services with managed care organizations, as well as Medicare and Medicaid.
- Improving Quality of Services - ACL partners with federal agencies on finding and sharing measures of quality for home and community-based services for older adults and people with disabilities.
- State Councils on Developmental Disabilities – Councils are charged with identifying and addressing the most pressing needs of people with developmental disabilities in their state or territory. Building capacity, often among providers of services for people with developmental disabilities, is a key activity of every Council.
- University Centers for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities (UCEDDs) - UCEDDs exist in every state and territory in the country and serve as liaisons between academia and the broader community. UCEDDs provide training, technical assistance, and continuing education to professionals and community members.